Thursday, June 01, 2006

Update on Baby Stokes

First, as my friend Lindsay says on her blog: "TMI Warning". If you are unfamiliar with the term "TMI" it means "Too much information". So, if you are squeamish about baby things or the many things that happen to the mommy in the midst of pregnancy, then this post may not be for you.

If you don't mind these things, or if you're just particularly brave, then read on.

I am now about 6 to 6 and 1/2 weeks pregnant. 2 and 1/2 weeks ago I began bleeding. I tried not to get too worried about this as I bled for 4 or 5 weeks in the beginning of my pregnancy with Aidan and he turned out simply perfect. (as you can see in this lovely photo).

I went to my first OB appointment yesterday, and after waiting quite some time I was able to have a sonogram. The good news is that I got to see the baby (ever so teeny tiny at this point...about the size of a small lentil actually), and I got to see the heartbeat. This is wonderful news! Then, I sat down with another doctor who explained to me that while it is very good that I have seen the heartbeat, that because I have been having prolonged vaginal bleeding that "we are not out of the woods yet". So, please pray for the little lentil that he or she will grow healthy and strong and that my body will also be strong and healthy.

The other thing we discussed yesterday with the doctor was whether we would like to attempt a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Ceasarean) or do another planned C-section (Aidan was breech and they were unable to turn him). We learned that only 70% of women actually are able to deliver vaginally successfully after having had a C-section. Which means that 30% of women who try this labor and labor and then have to do a c-section anyway. We also learned that 2% of women who try this have a ruptured uterus and that this can be catastrophic--it is even possible that if you rupture while laboring that they may not be able to get to the baby in time to prevent brain damage or sometimes death. While we know that this only happens 2% of the time, we decided that it just seems to us that while the chances of anything happening are small, if something does happen it is so bad that it is simply not worth the risk for us. So, we will be having another planned c-section, probably sometime around Jan.15th (give or take a few days). So, while the official due date is January 22, 2007, Baby Stokes will probably be arriving sooner. So, mark your calendars! =-)

No comments: